Is it Bad To Sleep With Earplugs Every Night?
07.01.2019 | Snoring Problems
Sleeping with earplugs each night can help your sleep patterns, but may not be the best habit to continue. Ears need a chance to rest each night, and drain any built-up wax. Earplugs do increase the quality of your sleep, and protect you from waking up from loud sounds. Over time if earplugs are used each night, they can push your ear wax far up into your ear, and cause temporary hearing loss. To remove the built up wax, either drops can be used, or you may even have to get the wax removed by a doctor.
Not only can wax buildup be an issue, but ear infections can happen with earplugs. Again, the built up wax causes bacteria to grow in your ear, and if there is an infection this can cause pain and even hearing loss if you do not seek help.
Types of earplugs:
- Wax earplugs – easy to mold in your ear and are good for both sleeping and swimming. These are waterproof.
- Silicone earplugs – These are reusable, but are not the most comfortable option.
- Foam earplugs – Most inexpensive option and are soft, so they provide comfort. These are made of a porous material, and this can cause bacteria to build up. These need to be replaced often.
Using earplugs to help you get a better night’s rest may be a temporary solution. This may also indicate your partner disrupts your sleep with snoring or sleep apnea. It may be time to seek help from a professional if you experience any of the below symptoms.
Symptoms of disrupted sleep:
- Snoring loudly
- Gasping for air during sleep
- Breathing stops during sleep
- Dry mouth
- Daytime sleepiness
- Mood changes
- Difficulty staying alert
Snoring Laser Care offers services to help you find a more permanent solution to get a better night’s sleep. We offer state of the art NightLase laser treatment. The NightLase provides a minimally evasive treatment where the laser is able to modify the oral mucosa tissue, and open up the airway for clear breathing.
Benefits of NightLase:
- Uninterrupted sleep
- Solution to snoring or sleep apnea
- Better quality of life
- Pain is minimal
- Recovery is quick
- Minimal - invasive procedure
- Immediate reduction in snoring
- No side effects with the exception of a minor sore throat
Call or email us today to schedule an appointment, and see how we can help you sleep better.